Equality is an integrated principle of the Michigan Bankers Association (MBA). The MBA promotes a culture of respect for all individuals, believing the keys to empowerment for our members and the communities they serve are:
- Celebrating diversity
- Promoting inclusiveness
- Advancing access to financial services
Send a Question
Do you or your team have a question on diversity, equity, or inclusion? We are here to help find the resources you need. All webinars, articles, and information we release regularly will take in to account any questions we receive. Please contact Natisha Jorae at email@example.com or 517-243-4274
Events & Webinars
Register for the next ABA DEI Open Forum - Discussion on Neurodiversity
January 19, 2021 - 2:30 pm EST
A guest speaker will speak on the topic of neurodiversity and following a time for questions for approximately the first 20 minutes of the Open Forum, then move on to banker questions and comments on any DEI topic.
Diversity... It's Personal: Becoming a Champion for Change.
February 25. Noon EST (60 minutes)
For years the banking industry has had diversity initiatives. But for many banks, the initiatives have resulted in written policies and checklists rather than true progress. The events of 2020 have brought diversity and inclusion issues front and center in the minds of bank management and staff. Why should a bank care about becoming more diverse and inclusive from top to bottom? How does the Black Lives Matter movement fit in? What does it mean and what does it take for DEI to be a strand in the DNA of a corporate culture? How can we become personally responsible for building a diverse and inclusive lifestyle and work environment?
View the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Resources
Podcast: ‘Banking Is Not a Commodity. It’s a Necessity’
Nasdaq Proposes Changes to Listing Roles to Ensure Board Diversity
Reaching Hispanic Communities by Cultivating Good Will and Colorful Gardens
- The December Dilemma, tensions can rise in December when numerous religious and secular holidays occur. Make employees feel included by recognizing the religious observances important to them throughout the year. In this article published by SHRM there are great ideas on how to be inclusive during the holiday season.
- Administrator guides East Lansing toward anti-racist era EAST LANSING – Elaine Hardy calls last month's East Lansing City Council resolution declaring racism a public health crisis "a moral document for us in guiding the city toward racial healing." Read the Lansing State Journal article here
- November 13-19 is national Transgender Awareness Week. Take action around the issues impacting your community. Learn more at glaad.org.
- ABA Expands DEI Team: ABA announced that it has hired Jasmine Cooper as its new VP for internal diversity, equity and inclusion. In this role, she will be responsible for ABA’s internal DEI strategy and will lead mentorship and sponsorship programs, diversity-related education and training for ABA employees and help shape workplace culture to further enhance inclusion.
Cooper joins ABA from Steptoe and Johnson where she was the law firm’s senior manager of diversity, inclusion and corporate social responsibility. She joins Naomi Mercer, who was hired last year as SVP for DEI, and who is leads ABA's effort to help member banks develop and expand their DEI programs.
“We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace with a staff that is representative of the customers, clients and communities that our nation’s banks serve,” said ABA President and CEO Rob Nichols. “Jasmine’s expertise will help elevate our efforts to achieve best-in-class diversity, equity and inclusion practices as we continue to provide resources to guide and encourage our members’ DEI initiatives.” Read more.
Race Matters - Don't Talk, Do - On Demand
Fear. Fear drives so much. When we consider conversations and actions surrounding diversity, equity and inclusion, conquering our fear, as individuals, as well as collective groups is essential. We must have difficult discussions. We must address deficiencies. We must provide safe forums for open, candid conversations of sharing and learning.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Summit
MBA Service Corporation Endorsed Partner DE&I Roundtable
Managing the Stress & Discord of 2020 - Webinar
Why Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Matter Now Webinar - Recording